[MPlayer-users] avi+srt question

Dragan Noveski perodog at gmx.net
Tue Jan 23 15:19:13 CET 2007

Pepe wrote:
> El Domingo, 21 de Enero de 2007 16:49, Dragan Noveski escribió:
>
>> hi to the list.
>>
>> i have produced some .srt subtitle file (using "ksubtile") for a movie
>> which i have in a .avi format.
>>
>> what i want to do now is to put somehow the movie and the subtitles
>> together.
>> i am really not a movie-expert, but as i understood, the avi container
>> should be modified in that way, that it is containing the .srt file, so
>> that we don´t need a computer for showing this movie with a subtitles.
>> in the moment i can play this stuff using mplayer very well, but the
>> goal is that we can do this with a normal dvd player, which is just able
>> to play .avi files too.
>>
>> i think that this is possible to do using mencoder, but  looking in the
>> manual, i don´t find the right command, that is perhaps because i don´t
>> even know how this operation is called, so i don´t know what  i should
>> be looking for in the manual.
>>

> I think it's not possible to add the srt file into the avi container. You'll
> have to recode the video.
>

>> it would be very cool, if someone here can give me a simple example how
>> the command should look like, sth like `mencoder puttogether
>> /path/to/.avi and /path/to/.srt-file into /output/file.avi`.
>>

> Ok, this is a command I used recently:
>
> mencoder -noodml -o new_video.avi \
>   -oac copy \
>   -ovc xvid \
>   -xvidencopts bitrate=970:max_bframes=2 \
>   -vf-add harddup \
>   -force-avi-aspect 16:9 \
>   -sub subtitles_file.srt -subpos 98 -subwidth 80 -subcp latin1 -ffactor 1 \
>   -font /home/ricardo/.fonts/arialbd.ttf -subfont-autoscale 1 \
>   -subfont-text-scale 6 -subfont-blur 0  \
>   orig_video.avi

hi, i am really impressed, i only changed some paths (fonts and
video/srt stuff) and the command is doing exactly what i need and at the
same time the process is much more faster than i was expecting!!!

very, very much thanks for this suggestion it really helped me!

soon we will have (finally!) 3 very old movies from yougoslavian
director Dushan Kovacevic (he was the one, e. kusturica was learning
from) with german subtitles for showing in free cinemas  across berlin!

cheers,
doc