[MPlayer-users] DVD seek forward behaviour on Windows

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Jan 25 11:30:55 CET 2007

Hello,
On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 08:05:42AM +0000, Mircea Croitor wrote:
> I'm using mplayer 1.0rc1 MinGW precompiled binary, on Windows XP, for playing
> DVDs. The problem is every DVD I tried to play cannot be seeked forward with
> keyboards (arrows, PageUp, etc) more than approx 44 minutes (seems limited at
> the first two large VOB files). When seeking past that limit, mplayer starts at
> the beginning of the DVD.

This is because MPlayer compiled under MinGW does not support files > 4
GB. This can not be fixed properly, the best solution so far requires
hacking the MinGW header files. I am somewhat reluctant to do this for
the official build, because of possible side effects and for giving a
realistic view of the current state of Windows support.
Therefore I'd recommend at least for now one of the unofficial builds
(which often also have the advantage of being more up-to-date) as listed
here http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/projects.html#windows
IIRC the usually recommended is http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php,
but does not seem to have downloads currently. Does someone have info on
this? If bandwidth is a problem, we might host them on mplayerhq (I am not one
of the mphq admins, so I don't have the final word on that though).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger