[MPlayer-users] Can I get access to raw pcm data buffers?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat Jan 27 13:57:41 CET 2007

Anna Klein wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm new to mplayer and have browsed the documentation and the
> archives but have not been able to find what I'm looking for.
>
> I would like to use a live streaming source from the internet as my
> music on hold.  I'd like to connect to a streaming source on the
> internet and capture the raw PCM data so I can convert the data, on
> the fly, to the proper codec, and then put it in RTP format, to be
> sent out.
>
> Is there a way I can get access to the raw PCM data?  Or is there
> some other way to do this?

If I'm interpreting you correctly, the first thing which springs to mind is:

mkfifo myfifo

mplayer <stream URL> -novideo -ao pcm:fast:file=myfifo

And then use myfifo as the input file for the convert-to-proper-codec
program. (If you do intend to do this purely in realtime, then the
"fast" option can I believe be safely omitted.)

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.