[MPlayer-users] Bug: av sync, bframes, dwStart issues

John Stebbins stebbins at jetheaddev.com
Fri Jul 6 19:57:30 CEST 2007

Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Corey Hickey wrote:
>

>> I agree, though, it's not at all ideal. I'm open to suggestions. At the
>> moment, I don't see how to make mencoder recognize how many frames
>> decoder output has been delayed (I'm not implying it can't be done--just
>> that I haven't figured out how).
>>

> the delay may be variable (depending on the number of bframes present),
> so it should be updated for every frame in the encoding loop

I'm not sure this is true. Somebody please correct me if I'm not getting
this correct.

For any number of b-frames, you need one I and one P before you can
decode and display the first B. The I can be presented right away, but
the B (which is the next frame to be presented) must wait for the P to
be decoded.  Each subsequent B no longer waits because the P it depends
on is already present.

If you enable b-pyramids, you add another frame delay because a B may
depend on an I, a B, and through transitive operation a P.