[MPlayer-users] Analyzing media streams

Fredrik Johansson frejo221 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 21:55:08 CEST 2007

Hi!

This "problem" is not really 100% mplayer specific, but I belive that
you guys are good at these kinds of stuff and perhaps able to give me
a few pointers and tips. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

The basic thing I (in an automated way) want is to analyze different
media streams that I have on file. The streams could be different kind
of transport streams (mpeg2/4, windows asf etc), elementary streams,
pes'es, and so fourth. I want to investigate the video stream, all of
the included audio streams (because these could all, in theory, be
coded with different encodings such as mpeg/mp3, aac, ac-3 and such,
right?) and the included subtitles.

What I do right now is to use mplayer at the command line with the
following flags: "mplayer -identify -frames -0 -ao null -vo null
_filename_here". That gives me much, but not all that I want to know.
And I don't know how it would work if I for example had a stream with
different audio tracks coded in different ways?

Other tools that I've tried is dvbsnoop (to determine the "service
method", although I don't know if this is the best way to do it),
mminfo (that is included in a bigger package, that I don't remember
the name of now, perhaps freevo or something related to that?).

So, basically, what do I want to know?

1. Good (free) tools to analyze media stream files (mainly mpegs, but
other formats as well)
2. Ways to do this in mplayer, that I've missed
3. Other places on the Internet where people know this kind of stuff
(if your not able to help me, which i doubt ;))

Things I need to know through the analysis are listed below. I'm a
newbie so everything might not even be possible to analyze, through
any program.

Video (mostly):
* Service method (DVB, ATSC etc)
* File format (TS, ES, Program stream etc)
* Video encoding
* The video frame rate
* Average video bitrate
* Aspect ratio
* Color system
* Format (1080i/p etc, the big thing here is of course it the video is
interlaced or progressive)'

Audio:
Encoding (mp3, acc etc)
Bitrate
Sample rate
Dual mono (or not)
Language

Subtitles
Type (dvb-subtitling, teletext or both?)
Language

Puh, that was a long email, I hope I didn't lost you halfway there. As
I said, I would gladly appreciate any help that you could offer, even
if your not able to give me the perfect solution right away :)

Regards,
Fredrik