[MPlayer-users] Mplayer OS X WMV fail to play

Peter Kottke pjkottke at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 08:01:07 CEST 2007

When trying to open WMVs in Mplayer I receive an error about abnormal
playback. The log shoots out:
"2007-07-10 22:53:05.340 MPlayer OSX[1107] *** Assertion failure in
-[NSTextFieldCell _objectValue:forString:errorDescription:], AppKit.subproj
/NSCell.m:1298
2007-07-10 22:53:05.340 MPlayer OSX[1107] Exception raised during posting of
notification.  Ignored.  exception: Invalid parameter not satisfying:
aString != nil

MPlayer interrupted by signal 4 in module: init_video_codec
- MPlayer crashed by an 'Illegal Instruction'.
  It usually happens when you run it on a CPU different than the one it was
  compiled/optimized for.
  Verify this!
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
  Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
  disassembly. Details in
DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
  gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
  DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't
and
  won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible
bug.
2007-07-10 22:53:07.635 MPlayer OSX[1107] Abnormal playback error. mplayer
returned error code: 1
"
This problem began when I reinstalled Mplayer last friday, before there were
no issues.  I have tried multiple different builds of Mplayer for OS X and
have reinstalled the Mplayer intel codecs multiple times.  Anyone have any
ideas?