[MPlayer-users] Using bmovl and -loop to overlay text on a repeated video

John bambam0356 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 17 22:18:20 CEST 2007

group,

I am trying to overlay text on a repeated video stream using bmovl and the -loop option.  mplayer is started with the following command line options:

/usr/local/bin/mplayer -loop 0 -vf bmovl=1:0:fifo -fixed-vo <my-movie>

Another application attempts to change the text on the video by writing to the fifo.  This bitmap can change at any time during video playback or not at all.  As the application writes to the fifo, the video is overlayed with the new bitmap as expected.  The problem occurs when the video ends and restarts (-loop option).  It seems that upon restarting the video, mplayer does not overlay the image that was previously overlayed before restarting.

What is the correct way to accomplish this?  Is there a signal that gets driven when mplayer is about to restart the video that I can capture and feed the current image into the fifo?

Thanks in advance for all replies