[MPlayer-users] Dumping VOBSub

Larry Reznick lreznick at idistream.com
Fri Jul 20 20:37:03 CEST 2007

I have a slow DVD drive on my notebook computer. While I'm traveling I'd
like to watch a DVD. My DVD drive can't keep up when playing directly
from it. I found that if I dump the VOB file to the hard drive using
"mplayer dvd://1 -dumpstream -dumpfile filename.vob" I can play it back
without trouble. However, I want to get subtitles.

So far as my research has shown I must use mencoder to dump the
subtitles. However, all the examples I've seen show simultaneous
encoding. I don't want to reencode. I tried using "-novideo -nosound"
with the "-vobsubout basename -vobsubid en -sub 1" options but that
didn't work. What command line do I use to tell mencoder to simply
deliver the VOBSub files?

--Larry