[MPlayer-users] Dumping VOBSub

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Mon Jul 23 19:36:45 CEST 2007

Larry Reznick wrote:

> So, the notebook system's Sony drive just won't accept turning DMA on.
> Could be a problem with the Linux driver and that drive, or the drive
> design is simply too crippled. BTW, interestingly, my notebook's hard
> drive, a Samsung HM160JI, supports UDMA5 but doesn't let me check it and
> doesn't let me change it from 16-bit to 32-bit:

All DVD drives support UDMA (by necessity).. your DVD drive is an IDE
model.  I suspect your kernel doesn't have support for the IDE chipset
in your notebook and is falling back to generic IDE.  I'm sorry, but I'm
not sure how to help you identify the IDE chipset you need.

As for your Hard Drive, that's a SATA drive, there's no need to set
transfer modes with hdparm for those (as you can see, it doesn't work
anyhow.).. Don't worry, you're getting full performance from the hard drive.