[MPlayer-users] latest win32 build - FLV encoding broken?

Mark Kennedy mark at eurogamer.net
Mon Jul 23 19:46:22 CEST 2007

Hi,

I also have the same problem using SVN rev: 23847 and ffmpeg externals
from rev: 9778.  Encoding seems to work as normal, but neither mplayer
nor Flash 9 player liked the video stream (audio was fine if present).

I suspected it was a problem with libavformat, and I found (after trial
and error) that rolling ALL ffmpeg libs to anything before r7593 (which
had commit log 'add codec_id <-> codec_tag tables to AVIn/OutputFormat')
and then matching this with an mplayer checkout from the same day (6th
Jan '07 -> r21847) meant I got a compilable mencoder that could produce
working FLVs.

I'm not an mplayer/ffmpeg developer so I can't say this was anything but
a stab in the dark.  It's possible 'codec_id <-> codec_tag tables' is
completely unrelated to the problem, but I thought this might be useful
to somebody.

Incidentally, I have now successfully got VP6 encoding with FLVs working
using the vp6vfw.dll.  To do this I had to get mencoder producing valid
FLV files using the revisions I mention above, and then doing:

svn up -r HEAD libmpcodecs/*vfw*.c

(i.e. bringing all vfw related files in libmpcodecs up to date)

I could then use 'vfw2menc' from the win32 mencoder install on a windows
box to make me some .mcf configuration files that I stuffed into
mencoder thus:

./mencoder input.mov \
     -of lavf \
     -ffourcc FLV1 \
     -ovc vfw \
     -oac mp3lame \
     -xvfwopts codec=vp6vfw.dll:compdata=configfilename.mcf \
     -srate 44100 \
     -lameopts vbr=3:br=96:mode=3 \
     -af lavcresample=44100:16:1 \
     -vf scale=720:-3 \
     -lavfopts i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames \
-o output.flv

The .mcf files are perfectly portable from the windows machine to my
linux box, hence I can now encode VP6 on a headless server without using
On2's frankly irritating VP6 SDK \o/.  I tested this using a dll from
the 'personal edition'.

I am thinking that the binary format used in the .mcf looks fairly
trivial, so will attempt to write a script to create them on the cmd
line without having to deal with windows dialog boxes :-)

Hope that helps somebody else.

Mark