[MPlayer-users] Dumping VOBSub

Larry Reznick lreznick at idistream.com
Mon Jul 23 23:17:33 CEST 2007

Larry Reznick wrote:
> I have a slow DVD drive on my notebook computer. While I'm traveling I'd
> like to watch a DVD. My DVD drive can't keep up when playing directly
> from it. I found that if I dump the VOB file to the hard drive using
> "mplayer dvd://1 -dumpstream -dumpfile filename.vob" I can play it back
> without trouble. However, I want to get subtitles.
>
> So far as my research has shown I must use mencoder to dump the
> subtitles. However, all the examples I've seen show simultaneous
> encoding. I don't want to reencode. I tried using "-novideo -nosound"
> with the "-vobsubout basename -vobsubid en -sub 1" options but that
> didn't work. What command line do I use to tell mencoder to simply
> deliver the VOBSub files?

Related to this, I am still trying to get the VOBsub files dumped so I
can research them. I've tried:

mplayer dvd://1 -dumpstream -dumpfile vobfilename -vobsub subbasename
-vobsubid 0

but that complains,

Playing dvd://1.
VobSub: Can't open IFO file
VobSub: Can't open IDX file
fopen Vobsub file failed: No such file or directory
VobSub: Can't open SUB file
No matching VOBSUB language found!

followed by

subtitle ( sid ): 1 language: en
subtitle ( sid ): 3 language: fr
subtitle ( sid ): 5 language: es
subtitle ( sid ): 7 language: en
subtitle ( sid ): 9 language: fr
subtitle ( sid ): 11 language: es
number of subtitles on disk: 6

I don't know why it can't open the IFO or IDX or SUB file.

When I use mencoder I can get the SUB file & IDX file, but the clip
doesn't run all the way through:

mencoder dvd://1 -oac copy -ovc copy -vobsubout subbasename
--vobsuboutindex 0 -sid 1 -noskip -mc 0 -o /dev/null

I use the "-ovc copy" because there is no null setting and I don't want
the AVI file at this point, hence the "-o /dev/null" output. I had to
use the "-noskip -mc 0" option because without it I'd get "duplicate
frame" errors. This works up to a point, but a 104 minute film stops
after only dumping 80 minutes. It gives no error message.

Am I missing something from either (or both) of these command lines?

--Larry