[MPlayer-users] Finding the adverage volume of a Audio / Video file

Not Me my.old.email.sucked at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 10:09:35 CEST 2007

Hey Guys,

I'm relatively new to MPlayer, and to mailing lists, so If i've done
something stupid or broken protocol please excuse me and remind me so I dont
do it again in future ;)

Anyway, I'm playing with MPlayer, and hoping to make my systems more user
intuative as far as sound goes. I have many videos and audio files which
have been ripped with different software over the years, leaving some with
extremely quiet audio compared to others, and while playing these in a
playlist without a remote, it becomes an annoyance to get up and change the
volume on the speakers (Think TV, where some of the advertisements raise the
volume as to attempt to drill there product into the viewers head :()

So, as my playlist has a MySQL backend, I'd love it if there was a piece of
software available which grabbed the average audio level of a sound stream,
and displayed it to stdout or dumped it in a file etc, as I'd prefer to set
MPlayer to normalize the level on the fly (via amplifying) rather than have
the file re-sampled (as this is far more CPU/Memory/RAM effective, and
presumably takes a lot less time ;))

Cheers
-Fragged