[MPlayer-users] -dumpfile with dvd:// - determine output filesize?

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 20:53:27 CEST 2007

On 7/31/07, Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de>
wrote:

> And otherwise dvdbackup or vobcopy might be more suitable for your task
> and maybe include a status bar already.

Hello, related to this I have a problem with a couple of DVDs which appear
to be scratched in the middle of VOB files.
(I can see physical scratches on the disks and dvdbackup appears to choke on
them.)

I've tried using a "dd" copy with "conv=noerror,sync" but that takes a long
time (perhaps due to reinitializing the hardware?).

Is there a utility which can save as much information on the DVD as
possible?

On a hard drive if one knows the file size one could skip to last block and
work your way backwards placing the blocks at precise locations into the
output file.  But I don't know if one can do this on DVDs (or CDs).  For a
really munged CD, I would imagine one could do some binary searching through
the damaged area to find the undamaged sections and just copy those to the
right locations in the output file.  The question is do any of the utilities
currently attempt to do this?

Thanks,
Robert