[MPlayer-users] How to extract a .WAV file from part of a very long dump file

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Wed Jun 6 15:44:06 CEST 2007

I accidentally created an interesting problem. A shell script I
wrote had a bug in it that caused me to dump about 35 hours of
audio to a stream.dump file. I then discovered some material
worth saving about 3 or 4 hours in to the stream. I thought I
could maybe save the whole stream as a .wav file and I, in fact,
could do that which ended up as a 20-gig .wav file.:-)

	I thought I might use sox to skip over the part of the
file that wasn't worth saving and grab the little part that was,
but a 20-gig file is too large for sox which complains about the
size and aborts.

	I may be able this time to use split to break the
stream.dump file off after the part I want to save which will
considerably lessen the size of the .wav file I must then edit,
but it brings up the question, is there a better way to edit a
huge stream file?

	I did originally try to split the stream in to 1-hour
segments, but there is apparently a header that must be there in
order to play the segment.  The first segment played fine but
none of the others would.

Thanks.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer