[MPlayer-users] DVD Playback Problems

Alan Larkin nobrow at eircom.net
Fri Jun 8 00:44:58 CEST 2007

My latest installation of Gentoo is giving me problems with DVD playback in mplayer.

I can Open the disc and it will start to play but if I try to choose a title I get:

Struct dvd, field hostname parsing error: 0

and playback just continues, and when I try to choose a chapter, playback stops and I get:

No stream found to handle url dvd://1

which incidentally is the error I was getting whenever I tried to open a disc, up until I symlinked
/dev/dvd to /dev/dvd1.

Some info:

$ emerge -pv mplayer

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] media-video/mplayer-1.0.20070427  USE="X a52 aac alsa cddb cpudetection directfb dts
dv dvb dvd dvdnav dvdread encode esd gif gtk iconv ipv6 jpeg live mad mmx mp3 musepack openal opengl
oss png pnm quicktime rar real sdl speex sse sse2 theora truetype unicode v4l v4l2 vorbis x264 xv
xvid -3dnow -3dnowext -aalib (-altivec) -amr -arts -bidi -bindist -bl -cdparanoia -custom-cflags
-debug -dga -doc -enca -fbcon -ftp -ggi -ivtv -jack -joystick -libcaca -lirc -livecd -lzo -md5sum
-mmxext -mp2 -nas -radio -rtc -samba -srt (-svga) -tga -tivo (-vidix) (-win32codecs) -xanim
-xinerama -xvmc -zoran" VIDEO_CARDS="mga s3virge tdfx vesa" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

The point is you can see that I have all (?) the necessary dvd features enabled (i.e. dts, dvd,
dvdnav, and dvdread).

This used to work without any great effort on this machine. Any ideas?

Thanks.