[MPlayer-users] How to extract a .WAV file from part of a dumpfile, partly Solved.

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Fri Jun 8 16:02:28 CEST 2007

"John Brown" writes:
> Suppose you don't try to dump the 3-minute section and instead just play
> it.
> Does that work? If it does, you can try MEncoder instead of MPlayer.  I
> have
> never tried it myself, but the "aconvert" script in the TOOLS directory
> allows you to encode from an audio-only file.

	Excellent suggestion which I will try. I did figure out
that it has something to do with the stream itself. I tried the
following command on a mp3 dump stream

mplayer -ss 5:00 -endpos 15 stream.dump

This should just play 15 seconds of sound starting 5 minutes in
and it did exactly that.

The same script abends immediately when using the Windows media
stream I was working on all this time. I
even made a short additional stream.dump file from the same
source I was trying to dump from before and the -endpos flag
still killed the playback. Basically, all this means that the
actual decoding of the stream is being clobbered.

	One final question:

	If one downloads the latest codecs, is it necessary to
redo the ./configure and then make cycle on the mplayer source?

	My thanks to all on this list who have been so helpful.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer