[MPlayer-users] mencoder audio distortion on MacOSX

Lev Givon lev at columbia.edu
Fri Jun 8 18:00:38 CEST 2007

I recently tried converting some RealMedia files (containing audio and
video) to AVI using mencoder on Linux 2.6.17 and MacOSX 10.4.9. While
the audio conversion on Linux was successful, the conversion on MacOSX
using the same audio codec and options sounded extremely scratchy and
distorted.

Here is how I invoked mencoder on both systems:

mencoder in.rm -ovc lavc -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=mp3:abitrate=32:threads=2
-ffourcc DX50 -o out.avi

Specifying any bitrate other than 32 for the particular input file I
used, incidentally, resulted in a "couldn't open codec codec mp3,
br=.."  error (using midentify, I observed that the audio bitrate
listed in the input file was 32 kb). Trying other RealMedia files
(with different audio bitrates) also resulted in scratchy audio on
MacOSX.

On Linux, I used mencoder 1.0rc1; on MacOSX, I build the source in the
mplayer svn as of 6/6/07. I also tried the static build of mencoder
available for ffmpegX (i.e., mencoder dev-CVS-060307-04:23-4.0.1), but
did not observe any difference in the output.

The Linux machine I am using is a Pentium IV PC; the MacOSX machine is
an Intel Core 2 Duo iMac.

Has anyone else observed similar problems when running mencoder on
Intel-based MacOSX systems? If so, has anyone managed to somehow
circumvent it?

							L.G.