[MPlayer-users] Compiling current SVN with dvdnav support (and some other issues)

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Sat Jun 16 20:54:48 CEST 2007

Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Alexander Roalter wrote:
>
>> In order to play the Sony's Arccos-Protected DVD I need dvdnav://, which
>> plays these DVDs rather well, but I don't seem to be able to compile it
>> again with current SVN.
>>
>> My last working copy is SNV 22963, with current 23561 it is not possible
>> to compile it as I did before. I have installed libdvdcss 1.2.9 in my
>> system externally (as was suggested on this list time ago) to make it
>> work with libdvdnav, which version is 0.1.10.
>>
>> When doing configure in mplayer, dvdnav is not detected, as the test for
>> dvdnav-config --version --minilibs is not understood by dvdnav-config,
>> and so this check does not go through. Removing the --minilibs there,
>> dvdnav is detected, but compile fails at the last stage (when linking
>> mplayer)
>>

>> Is there something I'm doing wrong?
>>

> you need dvdnav from svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/dvdnav/trunk/libdvdnav

something like this I was looking for... How should I know, as googling
for it brings only up dvd.sourceforge.net with this ancient version...
Is this even mentioned somewhere on the project homepage? Didn't find any.

Still after compiling fresh dvdread, dvdcss and new svn'd dvdnav,
mplayer configure still won't activate dvdnav... ldconfig and pals were
executed.

I have to give --enable-dvdnav and at the last step do the linking
manually and adding -ldvdnav to the linking of mplayer and mencoder...
And the internal dvdread is used. Ok, now I'm doing a complete rebuild with

configure --enable-dvdnav --disable-dvdread-internal
--disable-libdvdcss-internal.

Ok, this was a bad idea, it doesn't work at all. internal dvdread and
external dvdcss doesn't work either (wtf?). external dvdread and
internal dvdcss won't even compile:

stream/stream.a(stream_dvdnav.o): In function `open_s':
stream_dvdnav.c:(.text+0x439): undefined reference to `dvd_angle'

so back to internal dvdread and dvdcss

> ?? I have SWIII and I don't have problems with subtitles.
> Elaborate, please

Ok, SW III is the only one with no foreign language at all. With SW IV
(A New Hope) I could go into more details... Oh great, now my old
version of mplayer won't work and I cannot play no dvd anymore...

Quick recompile w/o dvdnav to get basics working again...

Ok, done that:

With Episode IV i get the following:
audio stream: 0 format: ac3 (5.1) language: en aid: 128.
audio stream: 1 format: ac3 (5.1) language: de aid: 129.
audio stream: 2 format: ac3 (stereo) language: en aid: 130.
number of audio channels on disk: 3.
subtitle ( sid ): 0 language: en
subtitle ( sid ): 1 language: de
subtitle ( sid ): 2 language: tr
subtitle ( sid ): 3 language: de
subtitle ( sid ): 4 language: de
subtitle ( sid ): 5 language: en
subtitle ( sid ): 6 language: en
subtitle ( sid ): 7 language: de
number of subtitles on disk: 8

playing -sid 0 and -sid 1 are english subtitles, but at 48:00 when Han
Solo encounters Greedo the forced subtitles do not appear. (sid 0 and
sid 1 are identical, but have different typefaces).
-sid 2 is german as is sid 3, again with the same problem as sid 1 (no
forces subs). -sid 4 is turkish, -sid 5 also but this time with
identical typefaces...
-sid 6 is again german, as is -sid 7 (for the Hard of Hearing)

That are all which are reachable from within the program (without vobsubid)

at this point i get such messages:
SPUasm: invalid frag len / len2: 1971 / 0
etc.

If I dump the file and play stream.dump, the following occurs:
--- oh crap, nothing happens at all. 'j' lets me only joggle through 0-9
(for whatever reason at all), but no subtitles appear at all. and
playing it with -v I see :

==> Found subtitle: 10  0.002 ct: -0.323 176/176 13%  0%  2.4% 0 0

==> Found subtitle: 11
==> Found subtitle: 12  0.007 ct: -0.321 1586/1586 13%  0%  2.3% 0 0

==> Found subtitle: 13
==> Found subtitle: 14
==> Found subtitle: 15
A:2721.1 V:2721.1 A-V:  0.015 ct: -0.322 2664/2664 12%  0%  2.3% 0 0

etc.

With -sid 10 (or whatever number greater than 9) I get always the same
english subtitles, without forced subtitles working...

Now I gather that in case of multi angle discs this subtitle information
from the IFOs is organized in a somewhat different matter. And this
forced subtitles thing also worked better once... :(

>> * within DVDnav mode, the lenght of the video is always 0 seconds
>> (displayed in the OSD)
>
> no, only in certain menus, but not when playing titles
ok, then it must be my version who does it... I'll look into it when I
have the new version running.

>> * with or withouth DVDnav, is there a possibility to switch between the
>> current mpeg timestamp (which is sometimes restarted when at the layer
>> break) and the real timestamp, i.e. when the timestamp goes to 0 after
>> being somewhat other then zero, simply add these two???
>>

> the osd always shows the timestamp read from the IFOs
> (thus it doesn't reset except at title boundaries)
again, comment as above.

>> * with -af xxxx, *any* filter applied thereafter breaks mplayer when the
>> # key is pressed, thus making it impossible to switch audio channels
>> during playback.
>
> sadly...
True. anything I can be of help? The problem is it is such a big load of
code, and I only had a short look into it a few months ago...

>> * I'm using dvdnav not for the menus, but for the working playback on
>> the copy-protected discs. Is there any way this behavior could be
>> implemented in the normal dvd playback mode, as I like its debug output
>> much better (esp. the audio tracks/formats and subtitle listing).
>>

> no, it would mean duplicating the VM in dvdnav. You could help us
> improve the
> the debug output instead
again, just waiting for the new version with dvdnav, then I can tell more.