[MPlayer-users] about -af <something> and channel switching.

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Sun Jun 17 23:24:02 CEST 2007

After doing some reading on the dev-list and finding out that the issue
of the inclusion of any audio filter breaks mplayer when doing channel
switching with '#' I dug into the code a bit and read around what seems
to be the problem.

At least to my understanding, after channel switching the correct number
of output channels is not set anymore (it is zero, which is bad).

Now for my really special case I can live with it setting it fixed at 6
channels, but this is really ugly and is wrong for all other cases, so
it should be avoided setting it to 0 in the first place.

Now as I understand this, changing the audio channel does not affect the
number of output channels, which is specified with the -channels option
and should not change during playback (as it is my understanding).

Sure, the number of input channels may change, and even depending on
some other audio filter settings, which may react differently on a
differing number of input channels, but the number of output channels
still should remain what it is. I have hardcoded it ATM at 6, since I
was in a hurry implementing, but now I'm going on the lookout for the
income of -channels to apply it there (until a real solution is found).

--
Cheers,
Alex