[MPlayer-users] Please improve subtitle encoding detection with enca

Lukas Vacek pheeror at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 11:14:13 CEST 2007

Hi,
could you improve subtitle encoding detecting a little?

I think this way can work in the most cases:
if lang: 'loc' is set for enca
  1) get current locale (if it's en, try to detect in which country
machine is - maybe timezone can help with this) run enca with lang set
for current locale
 2) if it fails, try to detect encoding like "i don't know lang, but i
know it's windows encoding" (AFAIK enca currently can't do  this)
 3) same as 2 to, for "iso", then for "mac"

I tried to do it, but i have considered myself not low-level languages fan.

thanks