[MPlayer-users] Intelligent dynamic scaling.

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Jun 28 20:03:45 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 10:05:06AM -0400, Baxter Kylie wrote:
>  On 6/28/07, Reimar Doeffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de>
>  wrote:
> > Note that downscaling is even worse than upscaling with many cards
> > (heavy wandering staircase effect with small moving lines), so for
> > getting best quality regardless of CPU usage this is not a good idea.
> > And for everyone who uses -vo gl I'd like to hint at the yuv and lscale
> > suboptions that enable higher quality scalers.
>
>  Great point re: downscaling. My display runs at native 720p and the
>  highest content I've seen are some hdtv channels that also run at 720p
>  so I wasn't thinking intelligently about the adverse effects of
>  downscaling a 1080p/i frame. The script has been adjusted. It still
>  issues a -vf-clr (with a video resolution > display size I assume
>  there isn't much of anything to be gained from heavy post-processing,
>  denoising, uniform noise, etc). If you don't like that behaviour,
>  though, feel free to change it at line 62.

I don't think I'll be using it, I watch almost everything (which is few
enough) on my TV anyway ;-)
But if you want a sample to try, I think something like this would be
most likely to show it: http://www.elephantsdream.org/

>  re: opengl. I'm not familiar at all with how opengl handles fullscreen
>  and scaling. Nothing I had read about gl seemed to conclusively show
>  performance or quality superiority -- not to say I did a /load/ of
>  research on the subject... always open to be proven wrong. In any
>  case, if it handles it in the same way as xv/x11 then the scale
[...]

What I meant to say is that -vo gl lets you choose between linear and
bicubic scaling for the _hardware_ scaling (if supported by hardware and
drivers, -vo gl:yuv=2:lscale=1 is an example commandline to enable it),
which might be good enough for some so they don't need to use
this script which involves using slow software scaling.
With the newer graphics card I have nowadays I probably could extend it
even to support adding noise etc., but I doubt I'll have time too soon.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger