[MPlayer-users] Compiling MPlayer fails

Gianluca Fiore forod.g at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 10:35:21 CET 2007

On Wed 28 Feb, 2007 at 07:18:54 -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
> Gianluca Fiore wrote:
>
>>May I ask why this kind of behaviour? I'm a long time cvs/svn mplayer
>>user and for many years enabling options from the configure script
>>was *ok*. Now why isn't so anymore?
>
> In MPlayer's configure script, '--enable' means "do not perform any
> autodetection; assume that everything necessary for this feature is
> present, including all necessary special compiler options". If you use
> it, you need to explicitly specify include directories and linker flags
> via the appropriate configure options.
>
> This is not a change; it has been the case for quite literally as long
> as I have been following MPlayer development (i.e. since the 0.90
> release series), although for some while in the "early" years it was not
> consistent across the entirety of configure (and in some places it may
> still not be).
>
> If it "worked" for you before, that was a coincidence; all of your
> necessary header files and libraries happened to be in places where
> MPlayer (and/or the compiler) knew to look for them by default, and no
> specific linker flags were necessary.
>
> Personally, I find it a little implausible that MPlayer was ever able to
> find the XviD libraries with no linker options (i.e. '-lxvidcore'), but
> I have no particular reason to accuse you of lying about it.

I've been using these options to configure for a long time (around a
year) without any problem, until two weeks ago when it stopped the
compiling with the error reported in my first message. Removing
"--enable-xvid" did resolve the problem, as you suggested me to do.

  --prefix=/usr --enable-gui --disable-arts --disable-smb \
  --enable-sdl --enable-x11 --enable-theora --confdir=/etc/mplayer \
  --win32codecsdir=/usr/lib/win32 --enable-faad-external --enable-menu \
  --enable-tv-v4l1 --enable-tv-v4l2 --enable-largefiles --enable-xvid

It may be implausible to you, but this worked for me for so long that I thought
it was a "correct" way to compile MPlayer. Should I consider myself very
lucky to got it working even when it shouldn't? :-)
So, at the end of the day, would be more "correct" to use only the first
line (the prefix, disables and gui options)?