[MPlayer-users] Re: [BUG] movie-aspect autodetection failes formkv in r22325

lists at eastcheap.org lists at eastcheap.org
Tue Mar 6 03:44:06 CET 2007

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

> Could you test attached patch (or point me to a sample)? Your patch
> breaks MPEG (DVB) aspect change.

Stupid unintended consequences.

Looking at the original patch, I can certainly see where there's a
problem.  It would appear that libmpdemux/aviheader.c is the place to
handle the vprp aspect information (by setting "movie_aspect" in the
manner of the "-aspect" option).

Unfortunately, the way mplayer is organized (and I use the term loosely),
this isn't going to be easy.  It will also have to be duplicated for every
other container format that supports an aspect specification.  Moreover,
it _should_ be overridable (something like a "-no-container-aspect"
option).

I'm working on it.  If it's possible (and that's a big "if"), I might have
a working ad hoc patch by tomorrow.  (What I've got now sort of works, but
the vprp aspect trumps the "-aspect" option.  This is unacceptable.)

I'm hesitent to do too much, however, since mplayer development is so
damned disorganized and the code is in such an insane state of flux that
I'm not at all confident that any work I do will ever find its way to
release.

Frankly, while I like mplayer a lot (and it's not as though there are many
options with linux), the code is a Godawful mess.  Were it one of my
projects I'd have thrown it all out and started over from scratch by now.