[MPlayer-users] Building MPlayer under Mac OS X

John Fiore fiore.mlist at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 19:06:22 CET 2007

I just noticed your note from January 25, when I was trying to get mencoder
working myself.

I upgraded to the latest XCode, which you can get from Apple's website,
compiled x264 from subversion and the latest mplayer from subversion.

I took the configure line that you used and removed the --disable-libmp3,
i.e.

./configure --disable-win32
--disable-gui  --with-extraincdir=/usr/local/include/ --disable-x11
--with-extralibdir=/usr/local/lib

and it compiles and installs.  I haven't had the chance to play with it, but

$/usr/local/bin/mencoder -oac help

shows:

Available codecs:
   copy     - frame copy, without re-encoding (useful for AC3)
   pcm      - uncompressed PCM audio
   mp3lame  - cbr/abr/vbr MP3 using libmp3lame
   lavc     - FFmpeg audio encoder (MP2, AC3, ...)

and:

$ /usr/local/bin/mencoder -ovc help

Available codecs:
   copy     - frame copy, without re-encoding. Doesn't work with filters.
   frameno  - special audio-only file for 3-pass encoding, see DOCS.
   raw      - uncompressed video. Use fourcc option to set format
explicitly.
   lavc     - libavcodec codecs - best quality!
   x264     - H.264 encoding

Good luck.

Hello,

I'm trying to build MPlayer under Mac OS X (x86) - my goal is to end
up with a build of mencoder that incorporates the latest x264. Beyond
the MPlayer source code, I have compiled the latest nightly of x264
(built and installed properly) and latest faac (also built and
installed smoothly.)

Unfortunately, it has become a game of whack-a-mole. Everything looks
great in ./configure but when I get to making, it fails for one
reason or another. I've already fixed a few layers of problems, but
I'm now pretty well stuck.

Here's what I'm using with MPlayer 1.0rc1 source:
./configure --disable-win32 --disable-gui  --with-extraincdir=/usr/
local/include/ --disable-mp3lib

[I would have liked to leave mp3lib enabled. but I was getting errors
with that.]

Here's the last few lines of the building process when it fails:
/libvorbisidec.a  -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lfreetype
/usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lx264
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [mplayer] Error 1

I've also tried using the latest MPlayer SVN, but I experienced
various other problems while making, therefore I reverted back to the
1.0rc1 which is perhaps a bit less 'cutting edge.'

Can anybody point me in the right direction in getting this thing to
build?

-Galen