[MPlayer-users] Why do rental/bought DVDs look so bad?

James Rowlett james.rowlett at ntlworld.com
Fri Mar 9 00:07:03 CET 2007

Wow, yes adding -vf hqdn3d certainly looks better. Thankyou.
So it is worth me keeping the VOBS I have copied from these DVDs.
Interesting to me, some DVDs look good, and some very bad.
The bad ones seem to be PAL which are reported as progressive. May
be a coincidence. I would have thought progressive ones would look
better than interlaced ones. And, I am not sure I trust the application
which tells me if it is interlaced or not.
Anyway, It seems that they can be made to look reasonable. Interesting that
a hardware DVD player connected to my TV plays them badly, when adding
-vf hqdn3d (under Linux) makes them look pretty acceptable.
Thanks again.