[MPlayer-users] weird problem with -demuxer lafv and mp4 files

Nick Koretsky nikita at public.ua.net
Fri Mar 9 17:40:30 CET 2007

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 20:35:21 +0600
ajaxas <ajaxas at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 15:17:45 +0200
> Nick Koretsky <nikita at public.ua.net> wrote:

> > Something weird is going on here, and i don't understand where to look
> > for....
>
> Well, there's a lot of strange things with the way(s) mplayer handles MP4
> container demuxing.  As you just mentioned, there are two demuxers:
> MOV/MP4 demuxer and lavf, and both don't work correctly.

Well, my problem doesn't seems to be purely mplayer's, because -demuxer
lavf does work for some people without mentioned slideshow effect!

> 1. Lavf doesn't handle subtitles and sometimes fails on files which
> MOV/MP4 demuxer does properly. Usually, it doesn't decode audio stream.
> Here's the example:

use -vc +(codec) for .mp4 with not ac3 sound

> 2. Another bug has already been reported for several times: irrelevant to
> demuxer enabled, mplayer shows wrong length (time) of MP4 files. For
> example, 8 seconds, or just several minutes. Usually, you cannot seek
> past some point in these cases - playback will jump to the beginning of
> the file.
>
> Inconvenient.

I have reported that too. But this can easy be fixed - remux file with
MP4Box, files created by it never have this syndrome....

--
  Nick Koretsky (nikita at public.ua.net)