[MPlayer-users] Auto-scale wish

Alberto Gonzalez luis6674 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 16 01:14:05 CET 2007

Hi,

For a long time I thought I couldn't watch HD videos with the XV output driver. I had to revert to X11/Xshm to watch them, though with a poor performance. Now I found a solution.

I have an intel graphic card (845GL), and trying to play a HD video mplayer quits with this error:

[xv] Source image dimensions are too high: 1280x720 (maximum is 1024x1088)
 FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver.

Now, the solution is pretty easy:

mplayer -vf scale=1024:576 myvid.avi

And the video plays as smooth as silk.

Now what I wonder is: if mplayer detects that the maximum resolution that Xv allows for my hardware is 1024x1088 and it detects that the source image is higher than that, why instead of just quiting and leaving the user without his video it doesn't scale it automatically and plays it?

I think that implementing this should be easy and it is *very* convenient for users like me, who might just think for years that they can't watch these videos because they crash every player.

If you think that this should be solved in another place (xorg?) let me know and I'll ask about it there.

Thanks.