[MPlayer-users] Auto-scale wish

Alberto Gonzalez luis6674 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 16 14:18:10 CET 2007

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at rangers.eu.org> wrote: On Friday, 16 March 2007 at 13:23, Alberto Gonzalez wrote:
> Stephen Mollett  wrote:
> >There's an option in the xorg i810 driver which fixes HD playback on the Intel
> >chipsets - have a look at man i810 and search for the LinearAlloc option. I
> >use it on my i855GM-based laptop with the suggested value of 6144 and I can
> >play HD movies fine with Xv.
>
> Yes, I know about that option, but I don't have problems playing HD
> videos as long as they don't exceed my (hardware?) limit of 1024x1080. All
> videos that fit in that size play just fine without modifying xorg.conf,
> and those exceeding the limit won't play whatever option I use in xorg.conf
> (LinearAlloc, VideoRam, CacheLines, etc...) The only way to play them with
> Xv is to rescale them to fit into my limit.

>This limit could be artificial, like in trident driver (where it was
hardcoded at 1024x1024). Have you tried switching to "intel" X driver?
>Looking at the driver sources could also reveal something.

I use the intel X driver (called i810 in xorg), yes. I don't know if the limit is artificial, but it's the limit I have for my card and I think there must be a reason for it. Other intel cards have higher limits, but mine is rather low end.

> To see your own limit, try:
>
> xvinfo | grep max
>
> Then try to play a video that exceeds that limit in either width or
> height and you'll see it's not possible without rescaling.
>
> Mplayer "knows" this fact. So it quits. That's my only concern. Why quit
> instead of automatically rescaling?

>Because nobody has written code to do otherwise. Feel free to send a patch
>that adds an option to do this.

I'm not a programmer. That's why I'm sending this feature request instead of a patch. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.