[MPlayer-users] Can I create an "mplayer | filter | mencoder" pipeline?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Fri Mar 16 20:07:45 CET 2007

Hello,
On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 11:45:09AM -0700, noah at noah.org wrote:
> Is there a way to do this with a command-line pipe line?
> I can modify the filter to use other still image formats besides JPEG.
> For example, I would like to do something like this:
>
>   $ mplayer shaky_video.avi | stabilo_filter.py | mencoder steady_video.avi

use two fifos (see mkfifo: "mkfifo fifo1 fifo2") and -vo yuv4mpeg:file=fifo1.
Make your filter create the same format as output (should be trivial) and read from
fifo1 and write into fifo2.
Then last start mencoder fifo2 (or for testing just use mplayer on
fifo2, if you can get mplayer to play it, making mencoder encode it is
not hard).
You will have to find some other way to deal with audio though.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger