[MPlayer-users] DVD Subtitle issue

Nico Sabbi nicola_sabbi at fastwebnet.it
Fri Mar 23 00:54:13 CET 2007

Alexander Roalter wrote:

> something other: the german Star Wars DVDs have multi-angle support, and
> it seems the subtitles show up also doubled, so there should be 7
> subtitle tracks (IIRC) at all, but mplayer finds 14 of 'em. And playing
> directly from DVD won't produce acceptable results, as with the
> subtitles above, the exact subtitle specified by -sid is not always
> played (on the Star Wars DVDs it plays the subtitles for the hearing
> impaired when I want the subtitles for the alien speeches only). Ripping
> it (and getting rid of the multiangle btw.) solves the problem, I can
> access all subtitle tracks as intended... ?-)

this is very strange, because blocks belonging to other angles than
the one playing are discarded at the stream layer, thus they don't
even get to the demuxer.
The handling of subs in mplayer is really sad, and I still don't see
the light at the end of the tunnnel ;(

--
"Without a frontend, mplayer is useless" - someone in mplayer-users