[MPlayer-users] Cropping in original-size vs reduced-size

Nico Sabbi nicola_sabbi at fastwebnet.it
Sat Mar 24 19:22:59 CET 2007

Jorge Fábregas wrote:

> Way #1:
> --------------------
>
> Before encoding:
> mplayer dvd://1 -chapter 4 -vf cropdetect
>
> ...to get where to crop exactly
>
> Actual encoding:
> ... -vf  crop=704:480:8:0,scale=512:384
>
> Way #2:
> ------------------
>
> Before encoding:
> mplayer dvd://1 -chapter 4  -vf scale=512:384,cropdetect
>
> ...Notice here that in order to get the proper crop values I'm actually
> dowscaling first..thus I'll get the values for the downsized image.
>
> Actual encoding:
> ... -vf  scale=512:384,crop=496:384:8:0
>

> Could you guys please tell me which on is the best one? In Way#1 I'm scaling
> to 4:3 the ACTUAL content.  In Way #2 I'm scaling the WHOLE frame.  Obviously
> these are 2 different things. Ok, for the regular eye, there won't be much
> difference but I think Way#2 is the way to go.  In Way#2 even though I end up
> with 496x384 (which isn't 4:3) the thing is that this frame was cropped from
> a 4:3 one (which already considered square pixels).

cropping weighs next to nothing on the cpu, thus performance will not
be sensibly better with method #2; on the other side the contrast
between black bands and actual video leads to an inefficient
utilization of the bitrate at disposal of the encode, so #1 is
preferrable.
As I wrote in my previous mail in both cases you will distort your
encode if you don't use scale=x':-10

--
"Without a frontend, mplayer is useless" - someone in mplayer-users