[MPlayer-users] Help with Mplayer and SRT subtitles

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 26 02:02:16 CEST 2007

Hello,
>Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
>On 3/25/07, John Brown <johnbrown105 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>>Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
>> >
>> >How do you record the output of -v in Windows?  Obviously in Linux I
>> >could easily just pipe it to a file.
>> >

>>Just the same as in Linux:
>>mplayer -v > filename.txt 2>&1
>>
>> >I did find an error though:
>> >
>> >C:\windows\fonts\arial.ttf doesn't look like a bitmap font
>> >description, ignoring.
>> >Cannot load bitmap font C:\windows\fonts\arial.ttf
>> >
>> >The font file is there though.  Its name is uppercase, but then I
>> >remembered Windows isn't case sensitive anyways.  What's up with that?
>> >

>>You can copy arial.ttf (or any TrueType font file) as subfont.ttf to the
>>mplayer folder. I mean the one that corresponds to $HOME/.mplayer on
>>Linux.
>>I believe that on Windows it is path\to\mplayer.exe\mplayer.
>>

>I put the font file in there and the "can't find subfont.ttf" error
>disappeared, but it still can't read arial and it still doesn't play
>subtitles.

I believe that it always prints that message about being unable to load
the font. You can check that it works by pressing the 'o'
key to cycle through the various OSD options; you should see the timer
displayed in Arial, or whatever font you copied to subfont.ttf.

Anyway, as daniele said, and I forgot, you also have to use -sid to turn on
subtitles.

And please put your reply below the text to which you are replying.