[MPlayer-users] Re: How to get mediafile info and then exit?

Alexander Bokovikov openworld at uralweb.ru
Sat Mar 31 20:32:14 CEST 2007

> doesn't -identify -frames 0 do the job?
>
> I'm not sure which information are wanted, even more info can be
> gathered with -v.

All these commands are for MPlayer only. But I was not completely correct in
my original email -- I had in mind to add similar command to mencoder in
order to have an ability to use the same tool for both mediafile type
detection and encoding. It is not so good to use two different executables
(moreover one of them -- mplayer -- always tries to create a subdirectory)
for media format detection and encoding itself. Hope you understand me.

Also I've tried the options -identify and -v with MPlayer and two MOV files,
created on Mac computer by iMovie tool (one with Sorenson Video codec and
another one with H264) and MPlayer does not show video bitrate (it is just
zero) in both cases, though audio bitrate is shown. At the same time FFMPEG
(v. 0.4.9pre1 build 4751) shows the video bitrate correctly as well other
format data.

So, I must use already very old build of FFMPEG just for... media format
detection! Why not to add the same feature to mencoder's current version?

The data I'd like to get are:

File:    total duration.
Video: codec name, bitrate, framerate, frame size (W x H).
Audio: codec name, bitrate, sampling rate.

Thanks.