[MPlayer-users] playlist suggestion

Joey Parrish joey.parrish at gmail.com
Tue May 1 04:22:31 CEST 2007

On 4/30/07, Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
> I disabled automatic playlist detection several years ago when I
> caught it trying to parse unknown media files as playlists and then
> segfaulting. Upon seeing the segfault, and knowing the previous
> history of bad, insecure code in MPlayer and the amount of string
> processing in a playlist handler, I basically deemed the code insecure
> pending a thorough review/audit by someone who cares to take the time
> to do it.
>
> Nowadays I (try to) use mplayer-plugin on my laptop, and if someone
> would actually do the audit and fix the playlist code so that it can
> be trusted, I'd be happy too! I don't have the time to code/review
> anything now though.

Okay.  I'll see if I can audit and make a patch.  Is it just the code
in playtreeparser.c?  Or are there other bits I should be paying close
attention to?

I think I might try disabling detection of real video formats in my
local copy to verify that the parsers don't segfault on real videos.
What do you think?

--Joey