[MPlayer-users] mencoder stops in the middle of input file

Joey Parrish joey.parrish at gmail.com
Fri May 4 05:45:48 CEST 2007

On 5/3/07, Yonatan Krauss <yonatan_krauss at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks again Joey. With my speific problematic VOB file I don't have the original DVD with me anymore, so I can't try it out, too bad. In general I want the flexibility of being able to change compression parameters,resolution, etc without needing to rip the origin DVD over and over agai. Perhaps what I should do is rip the DVD with mencoder without compressing the file in the future, though. Do you have better experience with mencoder that with DVDecrypt when you only want to rip, not re-encode?

You can try starting with this:

mencoder dvd://1 -dvd-device D: -oac copy -ovc copy -aid 128 -o rip.avi
(Of course, choose correct dvd drive, title, and audio track)

Then you can give back the physical disc and try re-encoding from
rip.avi, which will contain MPEG2 video straight from the DVD.  By the
way, rip.avi won't likely be playable by many other players.  MPEG2 in
avi is not a common thing, IMO.

As for your current situation, where all you have is VOBs and no
original disc left, I don't have any special tips.  I would suggest
avoiding that situation in the future if you plan on using MEncoder.
Sorry, but that's the best I can do.

--Joey