[MPlayer-users] mplayer crash on 64-bit Fedora Core 6 machine.

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Fri May 11 00:47:17 CEST 2007

Mplayer is consistently crashing on my new 64-bit research machine.
Before I go to the trouble re-building with debugging turned on and
try to generate a proper error report, I wonder if anyone can see
something obvious with my machine that would cause this.

I can already hear someone ask "why (the hell) are you
running an ATI card?"

Answer:

The machine is supposed to drive a research 4096x2160 Flat Panel from
Toshiba who supplied the card and a special (windows) driver (the
latter I'm obviously not using) for the panel.

The card (as I understand it) is a standard card whose video timing
signals have been tweeked by ATI/Toshiba to drive their panel.

HOWEVER:

I am currently running the card using the publicly available "fglrx" ATI
binary driver and I'm merely driving an ordinary HDTV (1920x1080) flat
panel.  On that panel, X and KDE come up just fine, and everything
(except Mplayer :-) seems to behave properly.

When I start Mplayer on a known good raw rgb .avi file using:

    mplayer -vo x11 sequence_1.avi

it prints out the info at the bottom of this message.  This happens
when I use the pre-packaged mplayer (x86_64) from Fedora and when I
re-build the package from the source package myself on the target
machine.

The package is:

   mplayer-1.0-0.72.20070325svn.x86_64.rpm

The machine has the following config:

CPU: Intel Xeon 5130 @ 2.00GHz

OS: Fedora Core 6 (x86_64) with all updates

Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV530 [Radeon X1600] (Secondary)
(This is a PCI Express x16 "proprietary" card with 256MB of memory)

Driver: kmod-fglrx-8.36.5-3.2.6.20_1.2948.fc6.x86_64
        xorg-x11-drv-fglrx-8.36.5-1.lvn6.x86_64

(These are the latest (as of last week) publically
 available closed source drivers.)

Following is the output of the above command.

Thanks in advance for any direction with this.
I'll gen the debug info if I must, but maybe something
quite obvious is here that I'm missing.

Dean S. Messing
Sr. Scientist
Display Algorithms & Visual Optimization Lab
Sharp Laboratories of America

=========

[deanm at fovea media]$ mplayer -vo x11 spinCalendar_orig.aviw
MPlayer SVN-r22817 rpm.livna.org (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU            5130  @ 2.00GHz (Family: 6, Model: 15, Ste\
pping: 6)
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing spinCalendar_orig.avi.
AVI file format detected.
AVI: No audio stream found -> no sound.
VIDEO:  []  1280x720  24bpp  15.000 fps  331776.0 kbps (40500.0 kbyte/s)
Clip info:
 Software: transcode-1.0.2
Opening video decoder: [raw] RAW Uncompressed Video
VDec: vo config request - 1280 x 720 (preferred colorspace: BGR 24-bit)
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
Try appending the scale filter to your filter list,
e.g. -vf spp,scale instead of -vf spp.
VDecoder init failed :(
[...]
VDec: using BGR 24-bit as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.
VO: [x11] 1280x720 => 1280x720 BGR 24-bit  [flip]
[swscaler @ 0xc46c60]SwScaler: using unscaled bgr24 -> rgb32 special converter
Selected video codec: [rawbgr24flip] vfm: raw (RAW BGR24)
Audio: no sound
Starting playback...

MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: filter_video
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
  Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
  disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
  gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
  DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
  won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.