[MPlayer-users] encoding an xvid for viewing on TV

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Sat May 12 09:30:28 CEST 2007

Andrew Henry <adhenry <at> bredband.net> writes:

> Ivo wrote:
> > Use DX50 or DIVX.
> >
> > And use a rewritable ;)
> >
> > --Ivo
> >
> http://www.jhepple.com/codecs/fourcc_header.htm
>
> There is no such thing as DX50...

Not that it's relevant, but I have downloaded several DX50 files.

That page says that it is a list of "The current FOURCCs registered with
Microsoft". You can get a list of FOURCCs known to exist, registered or
otherwise, at http://www.fourcc.org/codecs.php.
[cut]

> I am pretty certain it is because of the resolution, and as I always
> download latest stargate.atlantis bittorrents that are widescreen, at
> good resolution, and play fine on both my PC and DVD player, I must
> assume that this is possible.
>
> What other values of -xy can I use?  I tried -xy 720 (as in 720x576) but
> this did not work either.

1) Have you checked the manual or contacted the manufacturer of your DVD player
to find out the exact specs for its DivX support?

2) Failing that, can you run mplayer -identify on your compatible bittorrents,
and then use those exact parameters when encoding your own files?