[MPlayer-users] trying to pipe mencoder to ffmpeg2theora

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Wed May 16 15:25:41 CEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 13:57 +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Wed, 16 May 2007 12:33:03 +0200
> Roman Haefeli <reduzierer at yahoo.de> wrote:
>
> > if i do the exact same, but instead of piping the data writing it to a
> > file, and read the file with ffmpeg2theora afterwards, it works. is that
> > due to some limitation of the avi-container? should i take a different
> > one for piping?
>
> Yes. AVI header depends on the contents of the file,
> ie mencoder cannot fill all header fields until it finished
> encoding. As i hardly use mencoder, i cannot give you any advice
> but to try one of the other supported output formats (iirc only mpeg)

i am confused. icecast only supports ogg/theora streams. the only
program i know to encode theora is ffmpeg2theora. ffmpeg2theora cannot
acces my audio-device. mencoder can access everything (v4l and alsa),
but there is noway to pipe the stream in a format, that is understood by
ffmpeg2theora. are all these assumptions right? if yes, how the hell can
one stream an ubs-cam WITH audio live? i think, i don't look through
this at all.

roman