[MPlayer-users] trying to pipe mencoder to ffmpeg2theora

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Thu May 17 13:26:13 CEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 10:57 +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 10:44:02AM +0200, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> [...]
> > mplayer -vo yuv4mpeg:file=mypipe
> >
> > and in another terminal
> >
> > theora_encoder_example  mypipe
> >
> > nothing happens. both commands just wait. can somebody confirm this?
>
> Did you actually this like that, without audio?

sorry, i was unprecise. the commandlines i used were much longer and
also captured and piped audio.

what i tried:

mplayer tv:// -tv driver=v4l:device=/dev/video1:width=320:height=240:fps
\=25:immediatemode\=0:adevice\=hw.3:amode\=0:alsa:audiorate
\=32000:forceaudio \
-ao pcm=pipe.wav \
-vo yuv4mpeg:file=pipe.yuv

and on the other side of the pipe:

theora_encoder_example pipe.wav pipe.yuv \
| oggfwd domain.org 8010 password /video.ogg

this didn't work. your post suggested to try it without audio and it
works well. piping works fine with one pipe only. but that doesn't solve
my initial problem: i'd like to capture audio and video and stream both
in one stream. theora_encoder_example wants a separate file for audio
and video, that is why i tried it with two pipes. i didn't find a
solution yet. my first tries have been with ffmpeg2theora instead of
theora_encoder_example, but i couldn't find a way to put audio and video
into one stream with mencoder, so that ffmpeg2theora is able to read it.
an example would still be nice. mencoder/mplayer can output so many
formats and ffmpeg otoh can read so many formats, so i think it is just
a question of finding the suitable one.  an example commandline for
mencoder passing data to ffmpeg would be very helpfull, if someone has
one.

roman