[MPlayer-users] mplayer won't play what I mencoder ed

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon Nov 5 12:02:31 CET 2007

Hello,
On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 09:31:46AM -0600, Carl Karsten wrote:
[...]
> ++ mplayer -identify q1.mpg -vo x11

At least use -vc ffmpeg12 for such short samples. Encoding with th
lowdelay flag might help as well (no B-frames then though).
And of course use something newer than rc1 (though I think you have done
that already).
That said, this way with reencoding the same thing over and over does
not seem like a sane approach to me, quality will (or at least might) get worse
and worse.
Why don't you just always encode e.g. blocks of two seconds and just
concatenated them with 'cat' as you need it (and if you need more
precision than 2 seconds just encode the last chunk each time)?

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger