[MPlayer-users] Using libnemesi with MPlayer

Nico Sabbi Nicola.Sabbi at poste.it
Tue Nov 6 09:44:22 CET 2007

Il Tuesday 06 November 2007 00:34:20 Rich Felker ha scritto:
> On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 10:55:01AM +0100, Nico Sabbi wrote:

> > none of the three should be disabled due to the presence of the
> > other(s). Only a different protocol syntax (such as live://,
> > nemesi:// nativertsp://) should  identify the stream to use.
> > Each stream, in turn, would be free to rewrite the stream
> > protocol (if needed) and to hardcode a specific demuxer (if
> > needed).
>
> This is silly. We need to stop inventing our own ridiculous url
> schemes and honor the standard ones.
> Also there's no legitimate
> reason for multiple implementations of the same thing in MPlayer
> especially when one of them has nasty issues (like C++ in this
> case). live555 should be removed as soon as there are no
> regressions with using nemesi.
>
> Rich

no it's neither silly nor useless: if you want to compare how the
two implementations behave (a comparison that you always need
when coding and debuggging new code) you need to have support
for both libraries available at the same time; additionally what I
proposed doesn't require any extra code: it's all already available.

(an appropriate comparison applies with demuxers: think
how practical would be having to reconfigure and recompile
mplayer just to have demux_mpg or demux_lavf compiled in
because they can't coexist)