[MPlayer-users] gmplayer displays just a crop of an mp4, sample file

Larry Reznick lreznick at idistream.com
Wed Nov 7 19:34:35 CET 2007

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 09:42:47AM -0800, Larry Reznick wrote:
> [...]
>
>> That suggests the file was created with the wrong information. I wonder
>> if this means that VLC probed further into the file's structure,
>> discovered the 640x480 setting, and applied it to the whole clip.
>>

> You are assuming that displaying at 640x480 is any more effort. It is
> not, it is much simpler. MPlayer makes an extra effort to respect the
> settings in the file telling it to crop the video. Unfortunately it
> lacks the special QuickTime "we know our users are idiots and need to
> triple-check each setting in the file to verify it's actually what they
> want" magic code.
>
> Greetings,
> Reimar Döffinger

heh heh. You're probably right.

I didn't assume that the 640x480 display itself required more effort,
just that there might be a probe that VLC does that MPlayer doesn't do.
When a file is present that probe might be helpful, although more
effort, as you say. For streaming, such a probe should probably be
assumed unavailable.

--Larry