[MPlayer-users] How many seconds for -ss command

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Thu Nov 15 17:27:44 CET 2007

Jack Smith wrote:

> Gotcha.  I almost never run DVDs at my computer (the TV has better
> chairs) so hadn't noticed.
> Thanks,

Tehehe, I don't have a regular DVD player and use my computer as primary
player for almost everything (still an old VHS recorder is attached to
the TV...) and since last sunday I fully enjoy the HDMI connection
working on the TV (32" 16x9 CRT), where I play 720p. All is finally well
(if it weren't for the small problems with DVD playing and mplayer, esp.
newer copy protection crap (which more and more leads me to buy DVDs
from other countries rather than those crappy german ones) and subtitle
issues (which are not yet resolved) with Multi-Angle DVDs (esp. Star
Wars). Though for the last issue I didn't test a new SVN for quite some
time, so I don't know if there's any progress.

Still off topic, but sometimes I wish the new connection wasn't as sharp
as it is, since snow I clearly see the compression artifacts from some
things I downloaded from the web instead of DVDs. More resolution (i.e.
HD DVD or Blu-ray) is still out of the question until I can play them
back on the same interface ... and I didn't bother checking if there's
already a possibility to do so.

--
cheers,
Alex