[MPlayer-users] Trouble with RTSP stream; works with Quicktime and VLC

Aaron Greenhouse aarong at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Nov 16 15:17:41 CET 2007

> Hi Aaron!

Hi Carl,

> Aaron Greenhouse <aarong <at> cs.cmu.edu> writes:
>
>> I'm having trouble getting MPlayer to open a stream via RTSP.  The
>> stream is hosted by an AXIS camera on the LAN.  It is MPEG-4 video
>> with AAC audio.
>
> Could you _PLEASE_ find out if your camera also supports G726 audio
> format? I'd
> really like to support it, but never found a camera to test.

Yes, it supports G726, as well as G711 mu-law and AAC.  I'd be happy
to help you test G726 if I could get things to work at all.

>>  It's url on the LAN is rtsp://192.168.23.200/mpeg4/1/
>> media.amp.  When I give this URL to Quicktime or VLC, the stream is
>> opened and plays correctly.  If I give it to MPlayer, the following
>> happens:
>>
>> <begin quote>
>> [aaron-greenhouses-imac:~] aaron% mplayer http://192.168.23.200/
>> mpeg4/1/media.amp
>> MPlayer dev-SVN-r21482-4.0.1 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
>> CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         T7400  @ 2.16GHz (Family: 6,
>> Model: 15, Stepping: 6)
>> CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
>> Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2
>>
>> Playing http://192.168.23.200/mpeg4/1/media.amp.
>
> AAC over RTSP is supposed to work correctly with mplayer with live555.
> It is possible that you did not compile mplayer with live555
> support. Without
> live555, it is not possible to receive this stream with the native
> demuxer that
> is tried in your output.
> If you have live555 installed, it should be autodetected by
> configure, there
> should be no need for additional configure options.

A few things:

- My example above is incorrect, I am using the URL rtsp://
192.168.23.200:554/mpeg4/1/media.amp.  As I said, this works with
QuickTime Player and VLC.  With mplayer it fails.  It tries to load
avisynth.dll and fails.  If I set the DYLD_BIND_AT_LAUNCH env
variable it still fails.  If i try adding the -playlist flag it fails.

- I tried changing the audio to G711 mu-law from AAC, and the same
thing happened.  I keep getting "No session ID specified."  Something
more basic isn't working, I don't think it is establishing the
connection properly.

- I didn't build mplayer.  I am using"MPlayer OS X 1.0rc1" plus "Mac
OS X x86 20060611" codecs from the download page.

(My interest in this is that I want to be able to archive the audio
and video stream sent by the camera.  I have been using EvoCam to
control 2 of these cameras, and I can save a nice time-lapse movie,
or archive the video stream, but it is a QuickTime-based product and
QuickTime won't let me save the audio stream.  VLC is supposed to
allow me to save it, but while it views the stream correctly, the
stream it saves craps out after 1 second.  I was hoping mplayer would
do better.)

--Aaron