[MPlayer-users] Compilation problems in rc3 - finale

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Fri Nov 16 17:06:47 CET 2007

Hello,
On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 03:52:51PM +0000, robert w hall wrote:
> Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 10:02:22AM +0000, robert w hall wrote:
> >
> >> For the record
> >> gcc was 3.2.3
> >>

> > Ugh. gcc 3.2 (and IMO 3.3 as well) have more similarity to a random
> > number generator than a compiler.
> > _Never, never_ use gcc 3.2, it has _serious_ bugs (and IIRC the
> > compilation instructions on our homepage explicitly recommend against it)!!
> >
> With respect, the  man page is not _that_ strong - and I read that 3.2.3
> was explicitly a bug fix. Also, I have compiled a few other things with
> it over the years, including the present kernel.

Well, maybe it is not as bad as I made it sound. Overreaction happens
easily once you spent a few hours searching for a bug that ended up
being in the compiler ;-)

> Perhaps you should stiffen up the statement on the mplayer homepage.

Maybe, but some people always complain that it's too extreme then :-)
Btw. this is what the documentations says right now:

> Chapter 2. Installation
> 2.1. Software requirements
> gcc - recommended versions are 2.95 and 3.4+. 2.96 and 3.0.x are known
> to generate faulty code, 3.1 and 3.2 also had problems, 3.3 some minor
> ones. On PowerPC, use 4.x.

Well, 2.95 currently needs a small fix to compile at all and probably is
hard to come by unless you use something a bit older, e.g. Debian stable :-)

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger