[MPlayer-users] Compilation problems in rc3 - finale

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Fri Nov 16 17:36:30 CET 2007

Hello,
On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 12:19:56PM -0400, Giacomo Comes wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 05:06:47PM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
[...]
> > Well, 2.95 currently needs a small fix to compile at all and probably is
> > hard to come by unless you use something a bit older, e.g. Debian stable :-)
>
> What about this message that appears in recent build?
>
> + Compiler did not align stack variables. Libavcodec has been miscompiled
> + and may be very slow or crash. This is not a bug in libavcodec,
> + but in the compiler. You may try recompiling using gcc >= 4.2.
> + Do not report crashes to FFmpeg developers.
>
> It means that any gcc version before 4.2 is deprecated?

Firstly, this is an FFmpeg message. You could just not use any FFmpeg
codecs :-P.
Secondly, I personally have not experienced problems because of it.
And lastly, you only need gcc 4.2 if you compiled MPlayer against a
dynamic libavcodec (which you should not do anyway), otherwise
3.x or so is _supposed_ to be enough to get rid of it. But I admit I
never found out what exactly are the conditions that causes this message
(esp. since I 64 bit MPlayer where this problem does not exist).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger