[MPlayer-users] Mplayer with ffmpeg2theora and others software

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat Nov 17 15:16:37 CET 2007

Pierpaolo Gullˆa wrote:

> mplayer-users-request at mplayerhq.hu ha scritto:

>> Pierpaolo Gull?a a ?crit :
>>
>>> Hi guys ,
>>>
>>> I have a trouble with mplayer , stdout and fifo
>>>
>>> I have one files , for examples /root/file.avi , i don't know the
>>>  command for read this file with mplayer and put its output in
>>> /dev/stdout.
>>>
>>> Can you help me?

>>> The second possibility it's to put the output of mplayer in a
>>> fifo file (it's already exist).
>>>
>>> There is this possibility?
>>> What's the syntax?

>> rm -f stream.*
>> mkfifo -m 660 stream.yuv
>> mkfifo -m 660 stream.wav
>> mplayer -ao pcm:fast:file=stream.wav -vc dummy -vo null -quiet test.avi > audio.log &
>> mplayer -vo yuv4mpeg -ao null -nosound -quiet test.avi > video.log &

> Thanks fr your help , but there is a way to put the mplayer out in a
> device how /dev/stdout (I try with mplayer -vo help and in the list
> there isn't /dev/stdout)

Unless this has finally been fixed without fanfare, MPlayer has a
longstanding bug which means that it prints some of its text to stdout,
so it is not possible to send anything else to stdout without the risk
of getting the text mixed in the middle and producing a corrupted file.

> or in a fifo file?

ZikZak just showed you how to do it with a FIFO; look at the part of his
post which I did not snip out of the quote.

If there's a simpler way which will get you decoded video and audio
(rather than just an exact copy of the original unmodified file), I
don't know what it is offhand.

As a separate point: your quoting in the post to which I am replying was
horrible. I have cut it down by hand this time. In future, please make
sure that your post is clean - with the quotes which are important and
without the ones which aren't, and *especially* without mass duplicated
quotes - before you send it.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.