[MPlayer-users] help! (Mplayer -identify gives wrong video length)

Ognjen Bezanov Ognjen at mailshack.com
Thu Nov 22 12:05:20 CET 2007

Hello Everyone!

I'm having an issue with mplayer -identify. When I try to get the length
of a MPEG from a DVD track  (dumped with mplayer dvd://1 -dumpstream
-dumpfile etc...) It gives me the wrong value. It says the movie file is
3h:59m long, even though if I watch it, the movie finishes after 1h and
42mins.

The command I type to get the info is:

mplayer -identify -endpos 0 /path/to/file  2>&1 | grep -i length

(I also tried "mplayer -identify -frames 0 /path/to/file  2>&1 | grep -i
length" as someone recommended on the list)

Both of these give  me ID_LENGTH=14369.74. Also when I play the file and
select the time on the OSD, it tells me 3h 59mins remaining, but if I
fast forward the movie ends at 1h 42min.

Am I doing something wrong? How can I get the actual length of the video
file?

Thanks!