[MPlayer-users] How far does mplayer support HDTV media?

Sun Nov 25 15:00:41 CET 2007

Hi William Xu!

 On 2007.11.25 at 19:47:41 +0900, William Xu wrote next:

> I'm supprised at this.
>
> ,----
> | MPlayer 1.0rc2-4.0.1 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
> | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T7500  @ 2.20GHz (Family: 6, Model: 15, Stepping: 11)
> | CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
> | Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2
> `----
>
> How fast does it require?

Yes, some files need even more. Also using 64-bit mode helps (especially
for vc1 decoding)

For some h264-encoded hd-dvds C2D E6600 (2.4Ghz) isn't enough, at least
for some scenes.

Also once I tried to re-encode blu-ray source into very high-quality
h264, and C2D @ 3.2Ghz wasn't enough to decode it with ffmpeg (at least on some
scenes. Also, coreavc decoder with multicore decoding could decode it),
and fast:skiploopfilter=all options didn't help much.  Reducing bitrate
from 40 mbit/s to 20 mbit/s helped a lot, it was decoding 30-40% faster
after that, and with.

So the fact that you CPU is enough to play older 1080p h264 streams
doesn't mean that you would be able to play all h264 and vc1-encoded
hd-dvd and blu-ray discs - the problem is insane bitrate (40 mbit/s is
possible on blu-ray). Heck, even mpeg2 at that bitrate can eat up to 30%
of your cpu..

> > try with -vc ffmpeg12, -lavcopts lowres=1 (or if you prefer something
> > more painful add -mc 100)
>
> I added all the options you suggested(-lavcopts should be -lavdopts,
> right?), seems not very helpful. Still very lag..

What you actually should do is check top output. If mplayer uses over
95% cpu, there is a problem with your cpu. If there is not, there might
be problem with your file or how mplayer decodes it.

In that case, try -mc 0 or -mc 1 options, also play with -fps (with or
without mc) - options like -fps 23.976 or -fps 25 or -fps 24 might help.

If you don't have enough cpu for decoding h264, try skiploopfilter=bidir
or even skiploopfilter=all options, although the latter may
significantly reduce quality.

--

Vladimir