[MPlayer-users] Is there any way I can point mplayer directly to an IP address + port?

cga2000 cga2000 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 17:54:13 CET 2007

On Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 10:38:10AM EST, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> On Sat, Nov 24, 2007 at 05:30:34PM -0500, cga2000 wrote:

[..]

> > Strange.
> >
> > I repeated the same exact motions with the
> >
> > http://.../..?id=fvivace -> fivace.js -> fvivace.asx -> mms://url
>
> You did not look right at the fvivace.js, because that one starts with:
> > //var stream = 'mms://viptvr2.yacast.net/encoderfranceinter';
> > var stream = 'http://www.tv-radio.com/station/vivace/vivace-64k.asx';
>
> The first one is being commented out and probably is the URL they used
> somewhen in the past, whereas the second line is the right URL for that
> asx file...

I was lazy.

I will remember I have to read the .js file and not jump to conclusions.

I did try an "mplayer mms://Ip_Address:Port" using the address/port that
I initially connect to (as logged by tcpspy) but although mplayer likes
the syntax .. it does not work.

All I get is the dreaded "End of file" message.

I had been playing with the idea of storing the IP addresses in a file
and having a shell script initialize some variables when I log in so I
could just type:

$ mplayer "$mnemonic"

Seems I have some reading to do if I want to take this further.

Naturally, I could still do it with the actual "mms://.." urls but that
is not really necessary since the urls are usually mnemonic in the first
place .. so I guess I'll stick with the current messy solution of using
my shell's history mechanisms to recall previous mplayer commands.